Essential oils of eucalyptus have some of the most amazing and multi-dimensional properties. So, it is quite obvious why it is used in a lot of beauty and medicinal products. These products are easily available in local stores and your nearby pharmacy. The most common products that use eucalyptus oil are chest rubs and balms for cold, congestion and cough, throat sprays for cold, inhalers, mouthwashes, rash creams, soaps, and specific pain relievers.
The use of the eucalyptus trees dates back to centuries ago and was mostly heard in Australia. As per history, the Aboriginal tribes used this for various medicinal purposes. Over time, eucalyptus has become popular all over the world including India where it is known as Nigiri oil. The other parts of the world that use eucalyptus oil are China, parts of Europe and even South Africa. The leaves of eucalyptus are dried, crushed and finally distilled for the extraction of the colorless, strong and potent oil.
Benefits of eucalyptus oil
Check out all the benefits of eucalyptus oil:
Congestion and cold
The anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of eucalyptus oil can heal strong congestion and cold very efficiently. 1,8 cineole is an important element present in eucalyptus oil contains antimicrobial properties. It can easily fight back even the strongest of bacteria, fungi, virus, and other harmful micro-organisms. Eucalyptus oil is also an anti-inflammatory ingredient along with acting as an antioxidant and analgesic. All these have spasmolytic effects that can heal immunity-related sicknesses such as cold and influenza.
How to use:
- If you are suffering from cold and congestion, inhalation of eucalyptus oil can be very helpful. It loosens phlegm and thus eases congestion due to the flu and cold.
- You have to take steaming hot water and break in a eucalyptus oil capsule and inhale it. You can also pour a few drops of the eucalyptus oil in the water and inhale the steam.
- For both the procedures, make sure you bend down and cover your head and face with a towel so that the steam does not go away.
- You can also use eucalyptus oil in a diffuser and breathe in the medicinal smell throughout the night.
Eucalyptus oil consists of decongestant properties that can make you feel comfortable when you are suffering from cough and cold. Hacking and dry coughs are very irritating and embarrassing when you are in a public place. Coughing too much may even give you mild chest-aches due to the pressure on the body. Inhalation of eucalyptus oil vapor or simply rubbing it on the chest can help to loosen the mucus in the chest. The chest rubs that you purchase from your local pharmacist contains an amount of eucalyptus oil along with other ingredients. You can also apply home-made solutions using eucalyptus for quick relief.
How to use:
This is a home-remedy which requires:
- Olive or coconut oil- ½ cups
- Beeswax pastilles- 2tbsp
- Eucalyptus oil- 20-25 drops
- Peppermint oil- 10-15 drops
The last two ingredients are the most important as they contain eucalyptol and menthol. Both of these help to clear blockages in the nasal airways. Now you have to melt down the beeswax a little over a double boiler. Add to this, all the essential oils. Now stir and mix properly and pour it into a small air-tight container. It will set as it cools down. You can now use this as a rub when you suffer from dry coughs or congestion.
What do you do on a bad hair day when you need extra nourishment for your hair? Well, eucalyptus oil can act as instant nourishment for your hair. You just have to massage your hair with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. You have to mix it with any other carrier oil such as coconut or almond oil. The efficient elements that are present in eucalyptus oil reach the hair follicles and nourish the blood vessels. So, the blood circulation increases and therefore encourages healthier hair development.
How to use:
- Take 3-4 tbsp of any carrier oil, for example, coconut oil or olive oil.
- To this add about 1 tsp of eucalyptus oil. The ratio of carrier oil to the eucalyptus essential oil should be 80:20.
- Now mix these and massage your scalp gently. Use a good comb and keep combing your hair. This increases the blood circulation of the brain. Do this massage an hour before you take a shower. Now you can wash the oil off with a mild shampoo and then apply conditioner.
Eucalyptus oil will be very effective if you have an itchy and dry scalp. It is very easy to use too.
How to use:
- Take 3-4 tbsp white vinegar
- Now add 1tsp eucalyptus essential oil
- Add the above two with 4 cups of water
- Mix all the ingredients and rinse your hair nicely with the mixture.
Make sure that you have spread it evenly on all parts of the scalp. Wait for a couple of minutes and shampoo your hair followed by a conditioner.
There is another way in which you can make it:
- Take a teaspoon of neem oil
- 5-6 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- To this add 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- Now mix all of these and massage your scalp with these. Wait for a couple of hours and rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
You can use eucalyptus oil when you are suffering from fever. It has anti-inflammatory properties and it helps to bring down the temperature of the body. It also acts as a vasodilator that expands blood vessels and thus helps in better blood flow. Eucalyptus essential oil is known as “fever oil” due to these properties.
How to use:
- For body compression, use 9-10 drops of essential oil with 2 cups of warm water. Soak washcloths in this and wrap them around your legs and arms. Now cover the washcloths with dry towels.
- You can also make a fever rub by mixing 4-5 drops of eucalyptus oil along with another carrier oil such as almond, jojoba or coconut oil. Keep rubbing this oil on the back of your neck, feet, and temples every quarter-hour.
Eucalyptus oil has the most unbelievable benefits that a lot of us do not even know about. It is a vital ingredient in the science of aromatherapy. This therapy is an extremely popular solution to a lot of regular issues related to the mind and body. This article is about some of the amazing benefits of eucalyptus essential oil.